]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CWP Home

CWP  March 2012

CWP March 2012

Yakima River Basin PEIS Released (corrected version)

"Hill, Tim (ECY)" <[log in to unmask]>

Hill, Tim (ECY)

Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:30:31 +0000

text/plain

My apologies. There was an error in the previous email.

Today, Ecology and the US Bureau of Reclamation released the Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement for the Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Management Plan

*Download or View*
- Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Plan Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS) http://www.usbr.gov/pn/programs/yrbwep/reports/FPEIS/fpeis.pdf

- Executive Summary for the Final PEIS http://www.usbr.gov/pn/programs/yrbwep/reports/FPEIS/summary.pdf

- Ecology's Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Plan web site http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/cwp/YBIP.html

- Reclamation's Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Plan web site http://www.usbr.gov/pn/programs/yrbwep/2011integratedplan/index.html

*Ecology Release*

Time is right to move Yakima water program forward

      YAKIMA - Gov. Chris Gregoire is urging Congressional and state support for a plan that bolsters water supplies in the Yakima basin and implements one of the most significant ecological restoration projects undertaken in the West.

      "Water is the lifeblood of our state," Gregoire said. "Our communities, our $1 billion agricultural industry and our fish all depend on a reliable source of water to survive and to thrive. I'm very pleased with the progress made by the Department of Ecology and the Bureau of Reclamation to reach agreement on the future of water in the Yakima River Basin.  I urge that we move forward and implement this new program - the sooner we're able to provide a constant source of water, the sooner our entire region will benefit."

      Last fall, Gregoire joined Rep. Doc Hastings and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar in Yakima to garner support for the Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Management Plan endorsed by a diverse group of water interests.

      The plan calls for improving water supplies for the Yakima Basin Irrigation Project and providing fish passage at 100-year-old reservoirs in addition to other fish and habitat enhancements.

      Today, the Bureau of Reclamation and Washington Department of Ecology (Ecology) announced the release of a final programmatic environmental impact statement (EIS) that evaluates the impacts associated with an integrated plan designed to meet the basin's water and aquatic resource needs.

      The Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Management Plan provides a balanced approach to addressing water shortages through additional surface water and underground water storage, enhanced water conservation, market-based water reallocation, and structural and operational improvements. The plan also improves the Yakima basin's environmental health by protecting and enhancing habitat, providing fish passage at reservoirs, and making targeted land acquisitions on a willing-seller basis.

      The Yakima River Basin stretches from the crest of Snoqualmie Pass to Benton City, where the river drains into the Columbia River. It supports a rich farming base with crops ranging from timothy hay and mint, to perennial apple and cherry and peach orchards, and annual crops of asparagus, potatoes, and row vegetables relying on irrigation.

      Increasingly frequent water shortages, coupled with predictions of reduced snowpack due to our changing climate, have brought once conflicting water interests to a common table in support of the plan.

      In June 2009, Ecology and Reclamation brought representatives from the Yakama Nation, irrigation districts, environmental organizations, and federal, state, county, and city governments together to form the Yakima River Basin Water Enhancement Project (YRBWEP) Working Group to help develop a consensus-based solution to the basin's water problems.

      The goal is to seek authorization and funding from both the U.S. Congress and the Washington State Legislature to begin implementing projects outlined in the integrated plan. The work group adopted the plan in 2011 that led to the preparation of the EIS released today.  Individual projects will each receive specific environmental review. The document serves as an umbrella framework for the entire plan.

      The plan will be further refined based on the comments received during the programmatic environmental review and forwarded to the U.S. Department of Interior for authorization and policy consideration by Congress and the state Legislature in 2013.

      Last summer, Gregoire joined state and federal leaders in Moses Lake to celebrate the construction of the Weber Siphon that will deliver water to the parched Odessa Subarea of the Columbia Basin Project. During that event, Gregoire directed Ecology to accelerate work to also provide a reliable water supply to the Yakima Basin, a long-time priority of hers.

*Reclamation Release*

Final Programmatic EIS for Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Management Plan Released
The Bureau of Reclamation and Washington State Department of Ecology today released the Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS) for the Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Management Plan (Integrated Plan).

The Final PEIS evaluates two alternatives to meet the water supply and ecosystem restoration needs in the Yakima River Basin:  1) the No Action Alternative; and 2) the Yakima River Basin Integrated Water Resource Management Plan Alternative.  The Integrated Plan's seven elements include: reservoir fish passage; structural and operational changes to existing facilities; surface water storage; groundwater storage; habitat/watershed protection and enhancement; enhanced water conservation; and market reallocation of water.

The Integrated Plan Alternative is identified as the Preferred Alternative.
"This environmental impact statement provides a framework for addressing the basin's water needs holistically by balancing those needs," said Derek Sandison, Ecology director of the Office of Columbia River. "Now we have a real opportunity to achieve success where in the past water management has been historically contentious."

A programmatic EIS evaluates the effects of broad proposals or planning-level decisions that may include a wide range of individual projects; implementation over a long timeframe; and/or implementation across a large geographic area.  A PEIS does not evaluate site-specific issues such as precise project footprints or specific design details that are not yet ready for decision at the planning level; therefore, any projects selected for implementation will require subsequent project-level, or site-specific environmental reviews.

The PEIS satisfies National Environmental Policy Act and the Washington State Environmental Policy Act requirements. The Final PEIS will be formally filed with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on March 2, 2012.  Questions regarding the Integrated Plan Final PEIS may be sent by email to [log in to unmask] or by mail to the Bureau of Reclamation, Attn:  Ms. Candace McKinley, Environmental Program Manager, at 1917 Marsh Road, Yakima, Washington, 98901; (509) 575-5848, ext. 613; Fax: (509) 454-5650. Hearing impaired persons may dial 711 to obtain a toll free TTY relay.
Reclamation and Ecology offices and local libraries will have copies available for viewing; the document is also posted online at: http://on.doi.gov/wf7aRz.  Also, interpretative maps and graphics showing the impact area of the plan can be seen here: http://on.doi.gov/xKN3cE
# # #

Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the United States, with operations and facilities in the 17 Western States. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at www.usbr.gov.

Tim Hill
Office of Columbia River
WA Department of Ecology
509.454.4241